What does taking in a lodger mean?
The term lodger is used to describe a person (not a member of your household) who has the use of one or more rooms within your home and who may have a formal financial arrangement with you.  If you have a lodger you will still live in the house. You can take in a lodger if you rent a whole house or flat from us and you have a spare room.  Our 'Guide to Taking in a Lodger' provides detailed information which you may find useful.
What is subletting?

Subletting is when you nominate another responsible person to take care of your home, due to you wishing to leave your home for a temporary period but are intending to return to it.  This may be due to your work commitments, family commitments or long term travel plans etc.  Our 'Guide to Subletting Your Home' provides detailed information which you may find useful. 

How to apply

You should complete the relevant application form; either the Application to SubLet Form or the Application to Take in a Lodger Form.
Why would my application be refused?

We will not give permission if we have justifiable reasons for doing so. Some of these are:

1.  A notice of recovery of possession has been served against you/the proposed lodger or sub-let person.  
2.  A Decree of Repossession has been obtained against you / the proposed lodger or sublet person.
3.  The rent or deposit that you propose to charge is unreasonable.
4.  Overcrowding would result.
5.  We propose to carry out work on the house or the building.
6.  The proposed lodger/sub tenant has been convicted of anti-social behaviour in the last 12 months or has a current anti-social behaviour order.
7.  You are leaving for an indefinite period and can't tell us when you will return.
How quickly will a decision be made?

Provided we have received all the information we need, we will send you a decision in writing within 4 weeks of receiving your completed application.
What if I don't agree with the decision?

You can ask the Housing Manager to review your application. If you are still not satisfied with this decision you can complain using our complaints procedure. The reason(s) for our refusal and details of how to appeal will be included with our letter of refusal.

Related Documents

Sublet Property Application Form

Lodger Application Form