An assignation of tenancy occurs when a tenant who intends to leave the property conveys all rights and obligations under the tenancy agreement to another person.
How to apply?
You must do so in writing. Please complete our 'Application for Assignation Form'. Our ' Guide to Assignation/Transfer of Tenancy' provides detailed information which you may find useful.
Conditions for an Assignation
We will only consider an application for assignation / transfer of tenancy when the proposed tenant can clearly demonstrate that the house has continuously been their only or principal home for at least the 6 months prior to the application being made. To satisfy this requirement the proposed tenant must have:
1. Registered with and accepted by us as a member of the household and
2. Been declared as part of the household with the appropriate authorities’ i.e. council tax etc. and able to provide evidence of residency.
We must be satisfied that:
1. Neither party is being unduly coerced or pressurised
2. The assignation procedures are not being used as a means of circumventing our Allocations Policy.
3. There are genuine reasons for the transfer and that all parties fully understand and accept all the implications and responsibilities of assigning/transferring the tenancy.
How quickly will a decision be made?
Provided we have received all the information we need, we will notify you in writing of our decision within one month of your completed application being received.
What if I don't agree with the decision?
If your application is refused the reason(s) for the refusal and how to appeal will be stated on the letter. You can ask the Housing Manager to review the decision. If you are not happy with the review decision, please refer to our complaints section for further information; Your-Right-To-Complain. Details on how to do this will be included with our review decision letter.